Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Dilemma

It seemingly arises from economic pressures. I will not even approach reasonable compensation for my services until I get the advanced degree. So here I am in the GSU Library, waiting on a group member from my KH 6560 class to start working on budget figures for our final project: a proposal to build another stadium for use by Atlanta Public Schools. I need the masters to qualify for positions of instuctional support that do not tie me to a classroom and pay me better than a teacher. Meanwhile I still have bills and a mortgage to pay, so I suppose it's a blessing that I found the graduation coach job with Communities in Schools. Trying to balance the work with four classes this summer and serving as the Offensive Coordinator for Carver High School's football team will test my limits. I worked this hard as a first-year teacher, but not without severe costs to my mental and physical wellbeing... I wonder what will be the price of the ticket this fall...

1 comment:

  1. Doing anything the first year is hard. Especially if you are trying to balance a full place already. The price you pay will always seem like it goes up just like everything else. You will adapt though and next year you will look back and ask yourself how did you get it all done. Actually you will probably say that every year since our society has programmed us to continue to push for more and more.

    ReplyDelete